The Brown bean has a nutty/ earthy flavor while the White bean has a milder sweet flavor. Soak overnight and then cook for a few hours, until tender. They also cook nicely in a crock pot.
Basic Cooking Instructions:
On the Stove: (1 cup of water to an ounce of beans)
- 8 ounce tepary beans, sorted and rinsed
- 8 cups of water
- Salt to taste (1 tsp recommended)
- Combine beans and water in a pot. Add salt.
- Bring pot to a boil and reduce heat to simmer.
- Partially cover the pot and cook beans until tender.
- Approximately 2-4 hours. Do not add extra liquid to beans while cooking.
In a Crockpot:
- 16 ounces of tepary beans, sorted & rinsed
- Water to cover
- Salt to taste (2 tsp recommended)
- Cook on high until water boils. Reduce to medium (or low if your crockpot doesn’t have medium)
- Cook covered 8 to 10 hours until soft